Saturday, June 25, 2011

Flipping Technology

My husband and I visited an AT&T store to buy an I-phone for his uncle.  As the salesman began his spiel about  the zillion choices -  2G, 3G, 8 MB, 16 MB - I became cross-eyed, and turned my attention to the other customers.  Everyone was gathered around Blackberries and I-phones, talking among themselves, trying to choose the coolest option on the market.

Bored, I ran my fingers through each of the phones until, gasp, my fingers grasped a tiny flip-phone!!!  Elegant and compact, it totally stole my heart!   I slid towards the salesman, and, in an husky voice (or my version of it), asked him why there are only three types of flip-phones in the store.  He looked at me like I was nuts, and diplomatically stated that no company wants to create them anymore (Translation:  You are a fool to want one today!) Now, you too might mock me for being interested in an ancient design  in an era of I-phones and I-pads.



But I have always been like that.  I'd rather use desktops than laptops (laptops than tablets); I prefer mp3 players to Ipods, and so on.  Despite working in the telecom industry for three years, I cannot understand complicated phones.  Just give me something to make calls and text with, and I am happy. Aren't people worried about turning blind while browsing the Net or playing games on small screens?

Similarly, I don't understand the fascination with flat screens.  Flip-phones are sexy and curvy!  Gimme them any day!!! .:)

No comments:

Post a Comment